Responsibilities of the
(ALL ITEMS ARE SUGGESTIONS AND CUSTOMS MAY VARY IN VARIOUS LOCALITIES)
* Announce the engagement to the families.
* If the brides family is hosting an engagement party, you would attend and
after the father of the bride proposes the first toast to his daughter and her
fiancee, you then answer with a toast to the bride and her family. Other toasts
* Choose the engagement and wedding rings. Be sure to consult your bride.
* Select a time to talk to the Minister.
* Choose your best man and ushers.
* Choose the tuxedo and send out size cards to the groomsmen, ushers, ringbearer
* Register with your bride for your silver, china, crystal patterns, furniture,
* Obtain marriage license. In addition there may be other documents that must be
omitted. It is best to call the registrars for specific information as to what
is required. The marriage license must be issued in the same state, and many
times in the same county, in which the ceremony is to be performed.
* Select gifts for the best man and ushers and ringbearer. The gifts are
presented to the gentlemen either at the bachelor party or at the rehearsal
* Purchase brides gift.
* Make hotel reservations for any out-of-town attendants. Traditional etiquette
would consider the costs for these rooms as your responsibility, however, in
todays social practices, these expenses are paid by the groom only about a third
of the time.
* Make hotel reservations for any other out-of-town relatives. These costs are
not your responsibility.
* Attend the bachelor party. (The bachelor party should be held 3 months to two
weeks before the wedding...... NEVER the day before the wedding!
* Attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner usually the Friday night before the
* Stand in the receiving line if asked. The order is as follows: Mother of the
bride, father of the groom, mother of the groom, father of the bride, bride,
groom. Having the bridal party receive is optional.
* Arrange for the honeymoon including all out-of-town reservations and
* If the wedding presents are to be shipped after the wedding, make these
arrangements. These charges are your responsibility.
* If you are moving into a new home after the honeymoon, notify the utility,
electric, and telephone companies when to start service.
* Change your life and accident insurance to include your new beneficiary.
Arrange for hospitalization insurance for both of you.
* Obtain traveler's checks to cover expenses of the wedding trip.
* Give your best man the wedding ring for the ceremony.
* Cut the first slice of wedding cake with your bride, your right hand over her
* Send all parents a telegram or note of thanks after the wedding.
What to Expect When Shopping
for Your Gown
Expenses of the Groom:
* The bridal bouquet, all corsages, and all boutonnieres .
* Tuxedo for yourself
* The Engagement Ring
* The Wedding Ring
* The Wedding Trip
* The Marriage License
* A Gift for the Bride
* Attendants gifts
* Hotel accommodations for the groomsmen & ringbearer(s) *(See note below)
* The Ministers Fee
* Any Medical tests or examinations
* Shipping Expenses for wedding gifts
* The Rehearsal Dinner